Folders and Files
A website is made up of page files, image files, documents, etc. that are organized into folders. Each folder signifies a section of the website. The main folder is called the root folder. The root folder contains all other folders and files located on all OU Campus websites. Take BFA for example, “Business and Financial Affairs” is the root folder. “Human Resources” is a folder inside the root folder. “Current Employees” is a folder inside of “Human Resources.” And so on. (This is how we get the web address address “http://bfa.sdsu.edu/hr/sdsuid-info.aspx,”)
Each of these folders has multiple files (which are displayed as Web pages in a browser) as well as additional folders (which include more files). OU Campus file extension is “.pcf.” After the .pcf files are published their extension becomes .aspx.
Every Folder of the website will include the following items:
- index.pcf: The Index file is the “Homepage” for the folder that it lives in. The index.pcf file name cannot be changed or removed from the section folder.
- Additional Page Files: Most folders will include additional page files (i.e. about, apply, etc.) All page files end in “.pcf”
- Additional Folders: The section you are in may have subsections. For example, “Job Seeker” is a subsection of the folder “Human Resources.” If you are in the Human Resources folder, you will see a folder called “Job Seeker.”
- Images Folder: The images folder is where all images in that section are saved
- Documents Folder: The “docs” folder is where all documents included in the section are saved (typically these are pdfs or other documents that have been linked to on various pages of the section)
Navigate via Site Folders (Sections) and Pages Structure
Pages may be viewed in OU Campus by navigating to it through the folder structure on the Page List Area of OU Campus.
Select > Content (in blue global navigation bar) The file structure appears at the top level (root).